About Me

My photo
San Diego, Ca, United States
Hello my name is Jenny I am the mom of 3 wonderful children. My oldest is a very active toddler, Owen. Always exploring and discovering his world around him. Emily is our middle child, full of energy and always ready to explore her world. My is my beautiful baby girl, Kaley. She can melt your heart with her smile. I am Also the wife of a supportive and loving husband, Dave.  We live in san Diego. We just brought our 1st home. When I am not spending time with my family I am in my craft room. This blog is a place for me to share with you fun actives our family enjoys, crafts, spending time together, food, and home improvements and many more. Please join us in our journey.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Rice play

One of my goals is to find activities that allow my kids to explore and
learn about the world around them. I love to sit back and watch them
discover new smells, textures, and sounds. Because of this I am always
on the hunt for something new to do with Owen and Emily. I remember from when I was younger playing with colored pasta and making pictures for my Mom and Dad. So I was on the hunt to find out how to make colored pasta.
I found a couple of blogs with recipes for colored pasta and rice. All you need it hand sanitizer, food coloring, plastic bag, a old cookie sheet, and some thing to color ( rice or pasta). Put the rice or pasta in plastic bag. Add a few drops of Hand sanitizer and food coloring, shake the bag. When the color is evenly distributed over the rice or pasta poor it on a cookie sheet to dry. That's it. You can even have your kids help with shaking the bag. Owen likes the sound the rice makes.
I use a concert mixing container for Owen to play in. You can also use a
old plastic bin. Grab any thing that you think will be fun for a toddler
to play with. The go to for us are: measuring cups, measuring spoon, a
wooden spoon, any kind of container, an empty egg carton. Don't forget the colored rice!
Owen loves this activity. He can plan for an hour with the color rice. Putting the rice in a container, pouring them out, stirring the rice, and making a mess. Now an hour a play for a toddler is great ( and good for mom too)! And the best thing is he does not know that he is learning.
Now this activity can be messy, but that what makes it fun. It also
leaves me the opportunity to have Owen help mommy clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment