About Me

My photo
San Diego, Ca, United States
Hello my name is Jenny I am the mom of 3 wonderful children. My oldest is a very active toddler, Owen. Always exploring and discovering his world around him. Emily is our middle child, full of energy and always ready to explore her world. My is my beautiful baby girl, Kaley. She can melt your heart with her smile. I am Also the wife of a supportive and loving husband, Dave.  We live in san Diego. We just brought our 1st home. When I am not spending time with my family I am in my craft room. This blog is a place for me to share with you fun actives our family enjoys, crafts, spending time together, food, and home improvements and many more. Please join us in our journey.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Bye Bye Fear

Owen's imagination is growing everyday. I can see this when he plays with his cars. But with his growing imagination he is also becoming scared of funny things. Well to me it is funny but to him it is very scary. From talking to other moms and reading articles I found that this is very normal.
I wanted to share with you one of his fears and how we were able to help Owen get over it. Owen has always loved the bath. I mean you could not get him out. All of a sudden he became scared of the drain. When he would hear the sound of the water going down the drain he would cry and freak out. I knew that we had to figure out a way for him to get over it. The easy thing for me to do would be to just take him out of the tub before I opened the drain. But I did not want to reinforce his fear. I tried a couple of things but was not able to find any thing that worked. Walking to our truck one day Owen was saying good bye to everyone he saw. That gave me an idea. That night when bath tine was over I told Owen I was going to open the drain and he had to say good bye to the dirty water. It worked! Owen yelled " bye bye water" we also say " see ya later dirty water".
Now when it is time to get out of the tub all I have to do is tell him that it is time to get out. Owen yells " bye bye water, see ya later" he even helps me open the drain.
Do you have any tips on how to help our little ones get over a fear?

2 comments:

  1. That is a really smart idea. I'm so glad it worked. Mom told me that we were scared of the drain too when we were little. I will have to remember your idea for when my are bigger. You are such a smarty sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little ones both became scared of the dark and would scream when bedtime came. So my other half decided to go play tag in the dark with them (we turned out all the lights in the house except a bathroom in the far back of the main hall). It worked! They started associating the dark with fun instead of fear. :)

    ReplyDelete